Friday, August 20

Stories of money and how people spend it (Part I)

I know people who buy new phones, televisions, go on holidays, when they still owe money. I mean they make a fine salary in terms of the average, but their money just goes. Aren't people able to live tight because it depresses them or something? Why do so many people live beyond their means? Were human beings ever good? The reason America is in an economic downturn at the moment because people buy shit they don't need or can't afford. Because we're condition to think that buying shit makes us happy. It doesn't. Buy houses well above their income. Banks have to foreclose when they can't pay their mortgage. Also, for many people, having visible status symbols like a nice car, big TV, vacations are pretty important. Nothing wrong with that, though. It's great to have stuff.

No one wants to work and only be able to afford food and scrape by and survive. Because the point of living would be just to work to feed and shelter yourself. But there needs to be some kind of balance. People who aren't well off buy iPhone 3G. Fine, it's a bit expensive but no problem. Then then the iPhone 4 comes out, the rush out and buy that too. Why do they need to do this? What is wrong with iphone3G which is only 2 years old? The iPhone developers are upgrading something when they probably have a lot of other bills and expenses to think about. Capitalism is about productivity and volumes of products. Businesses do all they can to move as much product as possible. Where that means creating a culture of idiotic consumption, they will do so. American debt based economy ridden in easy credit, predatory loans, fiat currency, rampant inflation, etc. Most people are completely retarded with economics, which doesn't help.

Blaming an economic system instead of people who live beyond their means is the answer I always hear and it's a cop out.
  1. The average person is taught no budgeting skills and a line of credit allows them to overspend perpetually
  2. The average person being fucking retarded doesnt help either
  3. Money is the worst thing humanity has ever invented next to crack and AIDS

It's funny because I used to think when I was an undergrad that when I got my fancy ecoonomics degree and started making tons of money, I'd be happy living in a crappy apartment and saving my money for a cool car. It turns out the expenses always scale up with your income. No cool car for me yet but at least I could eat sushi twice a week. Social status, upholding appearances, makes me feel better about myself, etc. If I was going to work just to pay off debts and bills I would just kill myself. The best thing I could do for anyone is recommend Economics In One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt.

If people can afford their wants what's so wrong about it? Why must I feel this urge to judge/ criticize others for such arbitrary reasons? Perhaps it is people like me who are the reason humanity is turning to shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment